At Huakailani, the teachers and families work collaboratively to help each student find her own path to knowledge. Teachers and parents all play a role in finding the best way to reach each student, giving multiple opportunities for our girls to connect with the material and recognize its usefulness. Process and content must have an appropriate curricular balance to make each learning experience as rich as possible. Therefore, skills and content are taught with the context of application in order to maximize learning potential. This formula scaffolds students to enter their learning journey ready to be a partner in her own learning, establishing a strong academic foundation for success.
Students acquire the foundational skills they need for success in school and in life. In a multi-age setting, they master reading, writing, and arithmetic, following rigorous academic standards.
Core Curriculum and Instruction at Huakailani:
is aligned with current research
is based on ongoing individual formal and informal diagnostic/assessment data
promotes learning that is endurable and transferable
is based on practices that maximize student learning, progress, and growth
The curriculum is based on the National & State standards framework. The frameworks provide an outline of specific content to be taught by grade level in language arts, math, history, geography, science, and fine arts. Topics in the sequence build logically from one grade to the next. For example, in science, the basic concept of the atom, introduced in first grade, develops to a level of understanding of how atomic properties are organized in the Periodic Table of the Elements by the Middle School Grades.
Huakailani Offers a Complete Differentiation Program
The school is committed to providing students with differentiated instruction (matching the needs of the students with effective instruction). Differentiation is built into the curriculum and guides how each student is taught.
The Huakailani Teaching Team is committed to:
- Providing unified, coherent, and engaging academic and extracurricular programs that encourage cooperative learning, support multiple learning styles, and foster a global perspective.
- Creating a nurturing, challenging and supportive community that embraces and celebrates diversity.
- Helping each student reach her full potential.
- Using ongoing, frequent formative and summative assessments.
- Individualized Instruction specifically tailored to your child’s learning needs
- Integrated learning
- S.T.E.A.M. Based Program (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math)
- Blend of traditional and high tech approaches to learning
- Strong focus on core academics
- Safe and nurturing learning environment
- Personalized learning plans are developed for each student.
- Hands-on, inquiry based learning
- Character Education
- Community Service Projects
- Enrichment: art, music, physical education, foreign language (Japanese), hula